Moon Nights / Nebula Nights

In clear nights that have quite a bit of moonlight I like to take my dual narrowband filter out for a spin. Last week we had a couple of such nights, so a perfect opportunity to gather some data on a few of the summer sky nebula. 




Normally I am using a process called HDR multiscale transformation to get a good balance between the bright and the fainter parts of an object. However, in the case of M27 this would have reduced the color of the inner part of the nebula way too much. I went with soft masks for the inner regions instead and stretched these parts manually.  

There are still some issues with the images I need to try addressing - e.g. the amplifier glow is not fully corrected, and I partially have a reddish tint. However, overall I am optimistic and think that the pictures are quite pretty and are showing a lot of detail. 


Popular posts from this blog

Controlling the Telescope with a Berry

December Nebulae - fighting star halos

Galaxies at a larger scale